San Francisco, CA
Huckleberry is rebuilding small business insurance from the ground up. In a multi-trillion dollar industry where paper forms and fax machines still predominate, and customers are wasting countless hours navigating byzantine processes, we provide small business owners with the capability to manage all of their insurance needs through a single, elegant interface. Our team is rethinking every aspect of the experience, from pricing, to underwriting to claims.
We're backed by Tribe Capital, Uncork Capital, Crosslink Capital, e.ventures, Postmates CEO Bastian Lehman, Apartment List CEO John Kobs, and several others. We’re looking for a Data Engineer to join our growing team of insurance innovators in San Francisco, CA. As an early member of the Huckleberry team, you will have full ownership of finding the best solutions to design, architect and implement across our stack. Our technology stack is built on Python/Node/Hapi/Postgres/React sitting on AWS. We write a lot of tests, use automated deployment, Github for code reviews, and Sketch/Invision for mockup prototyping.
- Work closely with product and engineering teams to identify important questions / processes that can be answered or improved with data.
- Define, improve, and maintain our data infrastructure and any related architecture.
- Drive the collection of new data and the refinement of existing data sources.
- Build tooling that can be used by other engineers to capture essential product-related data.
- Build tooling that can be used by product teams to analyze and evaluate business needs.
- Develop analytical solutions using machine learning / statistical modeling.
- 3+ years of professional experience working with and analyzing large data sets to solve problems.
- Expert mastery of Python; scientific computing frameworks such as scipy, numpy, pandas, and/or scikit-learn; and tools such as jupyter notebooks.
- Understanding of trade-offs in database and infrastructure design choices.
- Strong commitment to quality designs, automated testing, and documentation.
- Good communication skills in English, both written and spoken.
- Sense of ownership and ability to drive issues and new ideas.
Why You'll Love Working at Huckleberry
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance with 95% of premiums paid for by Huckleberry
- Free One Medical subscription
- Flexible Spending Account and 401k
- Commuter benefits
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Free daily lunch and a kitchen stocked with delicious snacks, drinks, and coffee
- Company-sponsored happy hours and outings