Senior Full Stack Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Huckleberry is rebuilding small business insurance from the ground up. In a multi-trillion dollar industry where paper forms and fax machines still predominate, and customers are wasting countless hours navigating byzantine processes, we provide small business owners with the capability to manage all of their insurance needs through a single, elegant interface. Our team is rethinking every aspect of the experience, from pricing, to underwriting to claims.
We're backed by Tribe Capital, Uncork Capital, Crosslink Capital, e.ventures, Postmates CEO Bastian Lehman, Apartment List CEO John Kobs, and several others. We’re looking for a Full Stack Engineer to join our growing team of insurance innovators in San Francisco, CA. As an early member of the Huckleberry team, you will have full ownership of finding the best solutions to design, architect and implement across our stack. Our technology stack is built on Node/Hapi/Postgres/React sitting on AWS. We write a lot of tests, use automated deployment, Github for code reviews, and Sketch/Invision for mockup prototyping.
- You will be a senior product engineer focused on reinventing how insurance is built on a technological and product-focused level.
- Define and constantly improve the web architecture for our products.
- Iteratively develop, test, ship and maintain web products and internal tools.
- Database design, analysis, and tuning.
- You are truly a full stack specialist, equipped to debug performance bottlenecks on the backend and implement pixel-perfect CSS on the frontend.
- 5+ years of professional experience in developing web-based applications in an environment utilizing modern software engineering processes.
- As an automation aficionado, you are regularly using automated build and deployment tools while identifying areas of improvement across software delivery pipelines enabling continuously deployed fault-tolerant versions of multiple dependent applications.
- Sense of ownership and ability to drive issues and new ideas.
- Understanding of trade-offs in database and infrastructure design choices.
- Strong commitment to quality designs, automated testing, and documentation.
- Good communication skills in English, both written and spoken.
Day to Day
- Develop and maintain our proprietary underwriting and claims decision and aggregation engine.
- Continually refine our deployment process. We are currently utilizing a myriad of Docker containers on AWS.
- Make development decisions with a product focus. We don’t develop in a vacuum.
- How we build is equally important as what we build. User experience also applies to how we organize code.
Why You'll Love Working at Huckleberry
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance with 95% of premiums paid for by Huckleberry
- Free One Medical subscription
- Flexible Spending Account and 401k
- Commuter benefits
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Free daily lunch and a kitchen stocked with delicious snacks, drinks, and coffee
- Company-sponsored happy hours and outings