Ask Huckleberry

Expert answers to all your business insurance questions.

What should I do if my Nevada employee is injured?

  • Nevada

Even if you’ve done your best to create a safe workplace, sometimes the unexpected just happens. And when an employee is hurt, it can be difficult to know how to handle the situation.

Here’s what you should do immediately after an employee is injured.

1) Get your employee the medical attention they need. Immediately.

This is your first priority. If the injury is serious, call 911. For a more minor injury, make sure the employee is transported to the nearest urgent care facility (and then check to be sure the appropriate treatment is happening).

A quick note: If you aren’t the person transporting the injured worker, tell the employee (or their companion) to notify the treating physician that the injury is work-related. (The medical professional who provides treatment will need to fill out an important form.)

2) Let your insurance company know.

Your online business insurance provider has been through this situation—many times, in fact—and they’ll be able to give you accurate, up-to-date instructions on your next steps.

3) Give the injured employee (or their representative) a C-1 form to fill out.

Your injured worker will need to fill this out and give it to you within seven days of the accident. (Download the form here: Nevada C-1 Notice of Injury or Occupational Disease - Incident Report)

What are your next steps after a Nevada workplace injury?

Okay, you’ve taken immediate action and made sure your employee has gotten medical care, if necessary. Now, it’s time to fill out some paperwork. (Don’t worry. We’ll walk you through it.)

1) Fill out the Employer’s Report of Industrial Injury or Occupational Disease (the C-3 form)

After an accident happens at work, your employee will fill out a C-1 form and submit it to you. Also, if the employee receives medical care, you’ll get a completed C-4 form from the treating physician. As soon as you receive either one of those forms, you’ll need to fill out a C-3 form and file it with your insurer. (Actually, you have six days to submit it, but why procrastinate?)

This form will establish the employee’s wage history, so make sure it’s filled out accurately. Also, this form is your first chance to comment on whether or not you think the employee’s claim is valid—so if you believe your employee is exaggerating the injury (or, even worse, committing outright fraud) this is your first chance to say something. Take advantage of it.

(Download the C-3 form here.)

2) Submit the D-8 form—the Employer’s Wage Verification Form.

This one also goes to your insurer, and you’ve also got six days to complete it after you receive the C-4 from the employee’s doctor. But, again, why put it off?

(Download the D-8 form here.)

3) Wait for instructions from your insurance company.

After your workers’ comp insurer is notified of a claim, they’ll have 30 days to either accept or deny the claim. In either case, they’ll let you know if they need anything else from you. As long as you’ve filed the appropriate forms by the deadline, there’s no need to do anything else until you hear from them.

Go back to The complete guide to Nevada workers’ comp or Get an instant estimate on workers’ comp coverage.


All content on this page is for general informational purposes only and does not apply to any specific case, is not legal, tax or insurance advice and should not be relied upon. If you have any questions about the situation for your small business or the latest information in your state, you should contact an attorney for legal advice, an insurance agent or broker, and/or your state's labor or industry agency, board, commission or department. Please note that the information provided on this page may change at any time as a result of legislative action, court decisions or rules adopted or amended by any state or the federal government.

Share this post...